KPOP World

Battle of the Bulge: So Hee vs. Tiffany

Go down

Battle of the Bulge: So Hee vs. Tiffany

Post by suju_jjang on Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:16 pm

NOTE: The following remarks reflect only a small percentage of netizens' opinions. This article is not meant to generalize about all netizens, but rather, point out inconsistencies within a small sector of the 35 million Internet users in Korea.

I know I've been blogging a lot about unrealistic body image and stuff, this is one injustice I just have to point out.

With pictures of Tiffany wearing pants that are several sizes too small being one of the current "hot issues" on the Internet, there's a sudden upsurge in interest in celebrities' bodies. Pictures of So Hee of the Wonder Girls sporting a round belly have recently resurfaced on the Internet (they've been available for some time), and bored netizens have actually taken the time to compare the two chubby buddies, which was probably inevitable since the Wonder Girls and Girls' Generation are constantly compared to each other. What shocked me, however, was not how these netizens consider a little flab to be "fat", but how their reactions differed to each girl.

So Hee's chubbiness was called "ttong-bae" (literally translated, that means "poop belly", which is sort of a Korean term of endearment for a roll of flab; there's a technical explanation, but I'll assume you all understand) is called cute, adorable and "...just like a cream puff...I want to scoop it and eat it up!" (I'll let your imagination visualize what that means). There were extremely hypocritical comments like, "In reality, we can't expect celebrities to have perfect bodies. So Hee is a growing girl and we can't expect her to look like a supermodel", to vomit-inducing ones like "I find it charismatic. It shows us that she's a real girl and not an angel sent from heaven." Of course, there was mild criticism, but everyone seemed to let her off because she's only 16. Basically the comments were along the lines of "How cute!", blah blah blah.

On the other hand, Tiffany was heavily criticized for "...not taking care of her figure. She's a celebrity and she has a responsibility to maintain her figure." (So So Hee is a "real girl" but Tiffany isn't?) Some remarked, "I was so shocked. Tiffany, this isn't a ttong-bae, this is belly fat, and you need to get rid of it." and "Don't wear such revealing clothes if you're that fat." For the picture of Seung Ri of Big Bang leaning in to talk to her, most netizens (they were probably jealous psychopaths VIPs) retorted, "Why are you talking to our precious Seung Ri? Don't try to be such a slut with that disgusting belly fat you have."

I understand that So Hee is the "dumpling" and the maknae (youngest member) of the Wonder Girls while Tiffany has been somewhat controversial but still one of the most talked-about members of SNSD, but isn't this too much? Both of them are human beings and they're entitled to the same indulgences. Why is it that So Hee is "just growing up" while Tiffany is "irresponsible"?

credit: allkpop.com
suju_jjang
Developer
Developer

Female
Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Battle of the Bulge: So Hee vs. Tiffany

Post by kriszanne on Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:34 pm

I agree, it's not fair..We're not all perfect,everyone has flaws.
But i also agree,she's a celebrity so she must take care of her body,her figure coz it's her asset..

Maintenance

Female
Number of posts : 211
Registration date : 2009-01-08

http://kpop.forums1.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum